My dear Fathers, Sisters and Brothers,
Peace and Grace of Jesus!
- On July 24, the Church celebrates the second World Day for Grandparents and the Elderly. Established by Pope Francis in January 2021, it is observed each year on the fourth Sunday of July, nearer to the feast of Jesus’ grandparents, Sts. Joachim and Anne. The theme for this year’s World Day is “In old age they will still bear fruit” (Ps. 92:15). Holy Father emphasises that grandparents are a value and a gift both for society and for ecclesial communities.
- August 4th is the feast day of St. Jean Vianney, the patron saint of all priests. He loved so much to be a priest and at one time while preaching he commented that “If I were to meet a priest and an angel, I would greet the priest first and then the angel”. He also used to say that, “What use is a treasure chest full of gold if there is no one who can unlock it? The priest has the key to the treasures of Heaven”. The Cure of Ars, through his words and action, attached immeasurable value to his priesthood and put himself totally at the service of the little flock of Ars, offering the Sacrament of Reconciliation, often sitting for up to 18 hours a day, for many decades, until his death. Needless to mention, the day be marked in the Parish as well as at deanery level in a fitting manner.
- I am grateful to all of you for participating very well in the Missionary Meeting (13, 14 July)in good attendance. Reflections and discussion on the theme ‘Catholic Family – a sign of the Church’, so very important for the life our Church, I am certain, will enable us to plan our pastoral care of the families in the parishes. Every parish team, under the leadership of the Parish Priest, will do well, if a concrete schedule of activities for six or nine months from now is made for an effective follow up. While expressing our heartfelt gratitude to Sr. Ranjita, SRA and her team for the tireless work done for the welfare of our families, let us join hands with her to strengthen the ministry through greater attention and dedication.
- Second Sunday of August (14th) is the Youth Sunday for the national Church. Fr. Ajit , the diocesan Director has made plan for the same. Kindly contact him for details. The same Sunday is also celebrated as the Prison Ministry Annual Day. Those interested can get help from Fr. Kasper, M who coordinates the activities.
- Monica Diwas is on Saturday, 27, August. Do plan it well; you can begin the Novena on 19, August and have good celebration on Saturday & Sunday (28) for the women of Mahila Sangh in your Parish.
- Dates to remember: Priests retreat 1 – Aug 28 to 2 Sept. Ballia pilgrimage – 4 September. Hartmannpur Pilgrimage – 1-2, October Priests Retreat 2 – Oct. 2 to 7
With fraternal wishes and prayers,
Yours in the Lord,
Bishop of Varanasi